History of the Friedrichstrasse / Unter den Linden intersection  
 
1573 - Prince elector Johann Georg orders a riding path to be laid out between the royal palace and the electoral hunting grounds in the Tiergarten.  
 
1647 - By order of prince elector Friedrich Wilhelm, trees are planted along the riding path, which in 1734 is given the name "Unter den Linden" (Under the Linden Trees).  
 
1673 - Electress Dorothea orders that the land alongside the riding path be subdivided and sold in lots. The resulting settlement receives its town charter in 1674, and in 1681 is named "Dorotheenstadt" after its founder.  
 
1770-1776 - As part of an extensive "beautification policy", King Friedrich II has 33 residential buildings constructed along the avenue Unter den Linden at "the court's expense". Court architect Georg Christian Unger is in charge of the planning.
 
 
 
 
1859 - The Hotel Victoria opens at Unter den Linden 46. Later, the famous Café Victoria is added and comes to characterise the street corner for decades.  
 
1882 - The Friedrichstrasse railway station is opened and a number of hotels and amusements are established nearby. Nothing can now stop the rise of Friedrichstrasse to Berlin's "place to be".  
 
1891 - On a "fine day" (13 March), 120,000 pedestrians and 13,100 wagons are counted at the Friedrichstrasse / Unter den Linden intersection within 16 hours.
 
 
 
 
1945 - The quarter is totally destroyed in the devastating air strike of 3 February 1945.  
 
1964-1966 - Günter Boy, Helmut Riechert, Heinz Scharlipp and Wolfgang Vieroth build the Hotel Unter den Linden.  
 
2006 - The Hotel Unter den Linden is torn down and construction begins on the new complex at Berlin's most prominent corner, Friedrichstrasse / Unter den Linden.  
 
2010/2011 - Completion of Upper Eastside Berlin